Following recent demand for this package, there may be a waiting list for instruction. Please contact the office (email@example.com) for further information
Our 'Learn to Fly' package is a fantastic way to experience how a gliding club operates, get to meet new people, and learn to fly! It comes with all the benefits of full membership of Deeside Gliding Club for an introductory period of three months and gives a considerable saving on the first year's membership.
A treat for yourself, or a gift for someone special.
The Learn to Fly package includes:
- 3 months' membership starting from the day of your first flight
- An introduction to airfield operations, including a tour of the airfield & club facilities and a safety briefing
- Sample ground-school lessons
- Use of our wrap-around three-screen flight simulator (“I could see my garden!”)
- £350 (£260 for juniors) credited to your flying account (non-refundable) equivalent to
- 11 20-minute flights with 2000' aerotows, or
- 6 one-hour soaring flights with 3000' aerotows, or
- Any combination of launches and flying time (see price list)
- A Welcome Pack, comprising
- Welcome Letter giving full details on how to get the best out of your gliding at the club
- Log Book
- Progress Card
Gliding is the cheapest way to learn to fly a fixed-wing aircraft. Glider pilots can fly for 100s of km, stay airborne for hours, and soar to over 20,000 feet. It usually takes 50 to 100 flights to go solo, so this package could put you well on your way to becoming a fully fledged glider pilot. During this time, you are likely to accumulate around 5 hours flying time, or more if you have the good fortune to enjoy some lengthy soaring flights.
We have students from 10 to 90, and our oldest solo pilot is 84. We have several members who first flew solo aged 14, including some who did so on their 14th birthday.
The Learn to Fly package gives an opportunity to spend some days experiencing gliding over a few weekends, flying over the magnificent Cairngorms while learning to control an aircraft, and taking part in other club activities. It will give you memories for life.
Buying a Learn to Fly Package
Please note: we cannot fly anyone who weighs more than 102kg (16 stone). Those under 1.5m (5') or over 1.9m (6’ 3”) may not fit into a glider. Before buying a Learn to Fly package, please check our full terms & conditions.
The 'Learn to Fly' Package costs just £350 (or £260 for juniors) and can be bought for yourself or as a present for someone else from the vouchers page.
Further savings on full membership may be available to family members or friends joining together.
When your flying credit has been used up just top-up your account to cover flying fees as they arise (see tariff). At the end of the three months you can join the club as a full member and continue to fly, saving £60.
If you would like more details or want to discuss anything first please contact the club for further information.
The small print
You need to be at least 14 years of age to fly solo. It is probably not worthwhile learning to fly until you are 12-13 years old. There is no upper limit provided you can get in and out of a glider unaided.
The time taken to reach solo standard will depend on the weather, individual ability, and how often you attend. Instruction is always free, you pay only for membership, launches, and glider time. Junior members receive club sponsorship, for further significant savings.
All instruction is by qualified instructors, our fleet is maintained by a trained team.
The club operates at weekends during the winter and 7 days a week through the summer.
Families can attend under normal circumstances, but Covid-19 guidelines might bring limitations.
Terms & Conditions
- All flights are at the discretion of the instructor on the day.
- All flights are subject to the weather and cloud base - bad weather may prevent flying.
- You must be able to understand and speak English.
- Vouchers are valid for one year after purchase, and cannot be refunded or transferred.
- We cannot fly anyone who weighs more than 102kg (16 stone)
- There are a few medical conditions which may make it unsafe to fly. If you are uncertain or would like to discuss things first please contact the club for further information.
- Those under 1.52m (5') or over 1.9m (6’ 3”) may not fit into a glider.
- Parental/Guardian consent is required if under 18.
- If you are under 16, you will need to be accompanied by a responsible adult when at the airfield.
- Members are expected to help with airfield operations when not flying (we give full training; this is an opportunity to get involved and gain the full flying experience).